I absolutely love this recipe. It is so easy, it’s raw clean eating and useful in many ways. Once the marinated cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes are ready, they can be eaten on their own or used as toppers for salad greens (no extra dressing required), on rice, bugler, quinoa, couscous or cottage cheese.
Usually I use Roma Tomatoes, regular cucumbers sliced along with rings of onion. As you will see in the photos, I used cherry tomatoes as I had an over-abundant harvest of them and I chopped my onions and my ‘pickling’ cucumbers since I had so many of them as well!
Marinated Cucumbers, Onions, and Tomatoes
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar with mother
- 1/4 cup raw cane sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving
- I find it will keep in the frig about a week
- You can also change it up by adding fresh herbs or a drop or two of essential oils (my favorite is 1 drop each of Basil and Oregano)