If you have been following my blog, you are aware that I am diligently eating more raw. So it only made sense that I should look for a way to eat my eggplant in a raw form. This mean not cooking it over 118 degrees. I decided to try marinating it to eat as an appetizer or use in my salads. This is what I came up with. I love it both ways. It is a bit rich so it keeps me from over eating! I served it at one of my Healthy Habits classes and it got rave reviews even from people who don’t like eggplant. I have to give them lots of kudos for even trying!!!
Marinated Asian Eggplant
Makes about 5 -7 servings (28 Bites)
- 3/4 lbs Japanese/Asian eggplant (Black Beauty globe eggplant works well too)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 drop ginger essential oil or 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 1 tbsp. Rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
- 2 drops liquid Stevia or 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. White wine or Vermouth
- ½ Tbsp. Sesame Seeds
- Wash and trim eggplant ends.
- Steam eggplants for 10 minutes or until barely soft.
- Cut into bite size strips.
- Sprinkle pinch of salt.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix well (until sugar is dissolved).
- Chill and marinate eggplants for overnight.
1 Bite =13.5 calories, .5g Fat, 16mg Sodium, 2g Carbs, .6g Fiber, .8g Sugar, .3g Protein