I love basil, it’s one of my favorite herbs. And so I grow a lot of it! It has a sharp spicy flavor that adds a uniqueness to each and every dish. In addition it has several health benefits such as helps repair the body from damage of free- radicals, combats cancer, promotes cardiovascular health, inhibits inflammation, promotes digestive health, combats bacterial & viral infections.
Last summer I came up with a Basil Vinaigrette for our salads and proceeded to find that it makes a great sauce over fish or chicken. I’ve used it as a marinade and on pasta or spaghetti squash with fresh grated Parmesan cheese. All delicious!! I decided to freeze some to see how well it held up. It thawed out and tasted just like I had made it fresh!
makes about 2 cups
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup Champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup packed basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (I do about 10-12 turns of grinder for each)
Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender