Summer can bring some challenges to our ‘Healthy Eating Habits’. There are so many activities and changes to our otherwise routine schedule, that those little things we routinely do can go by the wayside. Knowing this, if we just keep a few things up front and consistent, we can have a fun filled and healthy summer eating.
5 Tips for a Healthy Summer Eating
- Stay Hydrated If you are feeling thirsty then you are already dehydrated! If you are feeling “hungry” you could be getting dehydrated. First drink 8 oz. of water and wait a few minutes. If you are still hungry then go ahead and eat something. 12 Reasons You’ll Want to Drink More Water
Tired of drinking plain old water? Click HERE for some tips.
- Eat BEFORE you leave home, unless you are going to a cookout 😊 This way you have control over what you are eating. You’ll also have more control over those items that look so tempting when you aren’t even hungry AND you will save money!
- Be Prepared with some emergency snack. Preferably ones that can stand the heat like nuts, jerky or protein bars without the melty toppings. I like to bring a little cooler with me where ever I go. I put a frozen freezer pack to keep everything cool like veggies, fruit or even a protein shake meal that I froze the night before.
- Stay Active. Relaxing is great (and important) but too much inactivity increases the likelihood of drinking and munching more than you should. Even healthy snacks add calories, moderation is key. Summer Activities to Burn 100 Calories
- Trade Out Empty High Carbs. Swap the hamburger or hot dog bun for a lettuce leaf, the chips for roasted chickpeas, crunchy veggies or popcorn.
- Be Consistent with Your Protein & Fiber. Making sure you get both protein and fiber in every meal and snack will do wonders for your body and energy level.
Learn more about Plant Protein
Learn more about Fiber
What do you do to help yourself stay with Healthy Summer Eating?