I love hummus but rarely ate it because it is a bit pricey. About a year ago I decided to make it myself and found it so easy to do that I started experimenting and came up with what has become definitely one of our favorite. This is so easy I still can’t figure out why they charge so much???? Recently I even tried it with soaked and sprouted chickpeas, therefor making it into a “raw” dish and even cheaper! You can barely notice the difference which is that it is not as creamy.
Here is my basic recipe with notes below for changes:
HUMMUS – Mediterranean Style
Makes about 5 cups (20 – ¼ cup servings)
- 1 Tablespoon dried Rosemary
- 2 drops Rosemary* Buy It
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained or about 3 cups soaked & sprouted beans **
- 1 cup chopped black olives
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup or more cold water
- Process garbanzo bean in food processor or blender (if using a blender put in water and some of oil first)
- With food processor running, slowly pour in the olive oil, scraping sides of the bowl as necessary
- Add dried rosemary and rosemary oil
- Add garlic and pulse until evenly blended.
- Add chopped olives
- Pour in balsamic vinegar and process until evenly blended.
- Pour in the water and process to make a spreadable consistency. Add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary.
- Chill before serving.
- Serve with fresh veggies for a very healthy snack!
¼ cup serving = Calories-61, Fat-3g, Chols. 1.3g, Sod-144mg, Carbs-6, Fiber-2g, Sugar -0.3g, Protein-3g
* If you do not have Rosemary Essential Oil substitute with 2 Tablespoons FRESH Rosemary for the essential oil and dry Rosemary.
** Wash & sort out any debris from dry garbanzo beans about 1 1/2 cups. Place beans in glass jar or or bowl covering with twice the amount of water. Allow to soak overnight or at least 8 hours. Rinse and drain (I tilt jar covered with secured cheese cloth in a bowl). Repeat this process at least twice a day until you have your sprouts about 1/4 inch long. This can take about 2-3 days, maybe longer.
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
What is your favorite addition to changing up your Hummus?