We are just about half way into the year and a good time to check in on those New Year Health Goals you made. I hope you are still working on them. But maybe things aren’t coming along so well. After the initial gung-ho and the first results, it is sometimes hard to stay motivated. This especially happens when the positive results are not showing themselves as much or maybe not at all! There can be lots of reasons for the plateau.
Below you will find a check list to help you with conquering plateaus and getting back on track. The list can be applied to any ‘Healthy Habit’ Goal you have set up for yourself, from physical, emotional, to relationships and more.
Plateau Check List
What Goal did you set for yourself? ________________________
Ask yourself these three questions:
- “What am I doing?” _______________________________________
- “What’s working?” _______________________________________
- “What isn’t working?” _______________________________
Tips to Break Through the Plateau and Get Back on Track
- Be accountable to yourself. Keep an ACTIVITY JOURNAL. Write down what are you doing? Eating? Feeling? Why do you suppose you are or aren’t doing what you said you wanted to do?
- Revisit your “WHY”. What good results will you get by developing this ‘Healthy Habit’?
- Find a ‘Healthy Habit BUDDY’. Set up check-in dates to encourage each other on your progress. Knowing you have to tell someone that you spent 20 minutes walking or clearing out closet clutter will help to keep you on track. My Buddy ___________________________
- Change up your routine a bit. If packing your lunch and snacks for the day isn’t happening every morning then switch it to the evening before, preferably when making dinner. This way you can stay more on track with your goal to cut expenses and/or unhealthy eating. What needs to change up? Changes to make _______________________________________
- Have you been calendaring the ‘little’ activities to do that will get you to your goal? I love this quote from John Alder -“If you want to accomplish something big, PUT IN ON YOUR CALENDAR. CONSIDER THAT IT’S NOT EVEN REAL UNTIL IT IS SCHEDULED.” What to calendar ________________________________
- Are you getting enough of the basic food groups? Protein? Fiber? Healthy Fats? Veggies? Water???? The body needs fuel to get things done! What foods to increase ____________________________
Foods to decrease______________________
- Are you getting 7-8 hours sleep most nights? Without adequate sleep, our hormone balance is off, making it harder to get the things done we need to do, react in a rational manner to situations that come up, to process our food and make good health decisions. How many hours am I averaging NOW? _______
- Are your goals realistic? Do they need a little tweaking? Maybe a goal needs to be pitched because it isn’t relevant anymore. What to tweak _______________, what to pitch _____________________________
Check out my Back to Basics blog post for more ways to get back on track.
Needing a little bit of help, encouragement? Contact me at Kathy@kathyskinner.com. I’m here for YOU!