Yesterday I was savoring each bite of my Cheese Yogurt Enchiladas when it occurred to me that I should share this recipe with others. I first started making the original version, Cheese Sour Cream Enchiladas about 40 years ago. About 3 years ago it dawned on me to substitute plain fat free Greek yogurt. My daughter was living with us at that time so she knew very well what the originals tasted like. She agreed with me that this newer healthier version was just just as tasty as the original. They even held up in the after freezing taste test!
We usually have one enchilada with red or black beans, brown rice and a fresh veggie mixed green salad. I was so eager to dig in and forgot to take a photo of my plate. Here is the casserole dishes with leftover enchiladas ready to be frozen for a future meals.
Cheese & Yogurt Enchiladas
- 2 c Fat Free Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 c chopped green onions (with tops)
- ½ t ground cumin
- 2 ½ – 3 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 flour tortillas
- 10 oz Enchilada Sauce
- Blend yogurt, onion, cumin & 1 cup of cheese
- Warm enchilada sauce in flat pan/dish
- Warm 3 tortillas at a time until just bendable (about 20 sec in microwave)
- Put some sauce to just cover bottom of 9 X 13 pan
- Dip both sides of tortilla into sauce
- Fill Tortilla with 1/6 of yogurt cheese mixture & fold/roll up
- Repeat until all 6 tortillas are filled and in pan
- Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas (optional)
- Sprinkle remaining 2 cups of cheese evenly over enchiladas
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes
May garnish with more yogurt & green onions (optional)
You can make the enchiladas ahead and chill in refrigerator until ready to bake.
After baking you can freeze the remainder and then warm up for another meal!
1 serving = 380 calories, 21 grams fat, 181 mg Potassium, 61 mg Cholesterol,
780 mg Sodium, 22 g Carbohydrates, 1.76 g Fiber, 3.2 g Sugar, 21.25 g Protein, 541.4mg Calcium
Making dishes that work for more than one meal is a favorite way of cooking for me. There is just so much to do in this lifetime that I need a few healthy short cuts!
I hope you enjoy the enchiladas as much as we do!